Brined Roast Turkey with Pan Gravy
September 12, 2019
Servings 6-8 people
Preparation 300 mins
Cooking 195 mins
Total 495 mins
- 15.2 cups of water
- 1/2 ounce of ground clove
- 1/2 ounce of ground ginger powder
- 4 ounces of black pepper
- 12 bay leaf
- 1 pound of salt
- 24 ounces of honey
- 24 ounces of maple syrup
- 10 pounds of whole fresh (giblets and neck removed and reserved for stock) turkey
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh sage
- 2 apple
- 2 onion
- 0.3 ounce of olive oil
- 1 cup of cubed carrot
- 1 cup of cubed celery
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of Madeira wine
- 4 cups of turkey stock
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 1 sprig of fresh oregano
- In a large stockpot, bring the water, cloves, ginger, black peppercorn, bay leaves and salt to a boil. Lower to a simmer and stir in the honey and maple syrup until well blended. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold tap water. Reserve the neck and specialty meats for pan gravy. Set the turkey in the brine, making sure that the turkey is fully immersed in the brine. Place a weight on top of the turkey to make sure it is always covered with brine. Marinate for at least 4 hours to overnight, depending on the weight of the turkey, in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a shallow roasting pan, place the carrots, celery and onions. Remove turkey from brine.
- Mix together the butter, garlic, chopped rosemary, and sage to make a compound butter. Using your hands, loosen to the skin from the breast by gently inserting your fingers between the skin and the flesh. Rub the compound butter underneath the skin. Insert the apples, onions, and whole rosemary and sage into the cavity of the turkey.
- Place the turkey over the vegetables, breast-side up, in the roasting pan. Tuck the wings back and under the turkey. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together. This will make a compact shape and will create a great presentation. Drizzle the turkey with olive oil and rub it into the skin. Roast the turkey to at least 165 degrees F in the breast, about 2 1/2 hours. If the skin gets too dark during roasting, tent with foil.
- Transfer turkey to a platter and allow to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the pan gravy.
- Tilt the pan and skim as much fat as possible off the juice with a spoon. Set the pan on 2 burners set on medium heat. Deglaze roasting pan with white wine and Madeira. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Reduce until only a quarter remains. Add the Turkey Stock, thyme and parsley. Bring to a boil and strain into a saucepan. Bring back to a boil, skim and lower to a simmer. Whisk in the beurre manie until well incorporated and continue to cook until gravy has thickened. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Turkey Stock Ingredients
- 1 giblets and neck of turkey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of port wine
- 1 cup of roughly chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of roughly chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup of roughly chopped celery
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Some to cover water
Turkey Stock Directions
Related Recipes - Main Dish
Shop Cookware on Amazon
Shop Now at il Storia. Use promo code: SPRINGISHERE