History of Apple Crumble
Crumble is a historical dessert that appeared in Britain during World War II. It is also seen as a simplified version of an extravagant dessert like Apple Pie. Known as Crumble in England, this desserts is also called Crisp in some states of the United States. Apple Crumble is served with cream, custard or ice cream in some countries.
What Is The Difference Between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble?
The main difference between Apple Crumble and Apple Crisp is oats. While Apple Crisp is made with oats, however Apple Crumble is made without oats in the original recipe.
Apple Crumble is made in the UK and Australia similarly to the Apple Crisp. However, these two recipes are different in Canada and the USA. Both recipes use fresh fruits and are apple-based desserts.
What Apples Are Best For Apple Crumble?
We can divide apple varieties into those for food and for cooking. Baking apples will be the ideal choice in this recipe. Apples used in dessert should be hard textured. Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala and Pink Lady apples are among the apple varieties you can use in the Easy Apple Crumble recipe. Be careful not to use red apples. This can cause a sour taste.
How To Make The Best Apple Crumble?
When making apple crumble, use apple, cinnamon and powdered sugar for apple filling; and use all-purpose flour, powdered sugar and butter for the toppings.
- Choose baking apples. Granny Smith apples is one of the ideal apple varieties for this dessert.
- Prepare the Apple Crumble topping. For this, combine the dry ingredients together. For the dough, mix the butter, flour, sugar, salt.
- Make the fruit filling. Add the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon and get together with the apple in a large bowl. Add the apples and lemon juice and put in the baking tray.
- When putting the dessert in the oven, cover it with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes so that it does not brown too much.
- Bake in the oven until it turns golden.
- Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
How To Make Gluten- Free Apple Crumble?
- Make the Crumble Topping: Combine the almond flour, brown rice flour, granulated sugar, and salt. With a blender or your hands, mix the cold butter and the other ingredients. Refrigerate the toppings for at least 45 minutes.
- Make the Apple Filling: Slice the apples. Add apples and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Then mix brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon to the apples. Gently stir. Place the apple mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake Apple Crumble: Top with the crumble and press the crumble down with your fingers. Bake for 50-60 minutes until lightly golden brown. Serve with ice cream.
How To Store Apple Crumble?
Do You Put Crumble In The Fridge? Yes. You can store the Apple Crumble dessert by wrapping it with foil. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can You Freeze Crumble? Yes. You can put the apple pie in the refrigerator bag or plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Can You Make Apple Crumble Ahead Of Time? Yes. You can prepare this delicious pie beforehand and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Thaw it in the refrigerator the night before serving and let it stand at room temperature.