What Is Ciabatta Bread?
Ciabatta is an Italian version of the French baguettes. The bread is shaped into a long loaf and is quite flat. The bread is widely known for its alveolar holes, more like Swiss cheese. The bread has a chewy and crispy crust, whereas the interior is airy. It gets its unique texture from a special mixture called Biga. It is widely used for sandwiches, especially for Paninis.
What is The Difference Between Sourdough and Ciabatta?
Here are a few main differences that set the sourdough and Ciabatta apart:
- Firstly, Ciabatta contains olive oil, whereas the sourdough doesn't use olive oil.
- Ciabatta uses dry yeast as a leavening agent, whereas sourdough doesn't use any commercial ingredient for the purpose. Instead, it uses live bacteria and wild yeast, naturally available in the flour.
- Furthermore, the hydration level in Ciabatta is higher as compared to in sourdough.
- The Ciabatta mixture dough is stickier and wetter than the sourdough.
- Ciabatta is not scored, but sourdough is scored before baking.
- Sourdough has a cough and a more complex flavor than Ciabatta.
- Sourdough is dense in texture, whereas Ciabatta is airy.
How to Serve Ciabatta Bread?
You can serve ciabatta bread in several ways. Here are a few ideas you should try:
Appetizer: Bread makes a great appetizer. You can serve Ciabatta slices along with several dips like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic dip. Plus, serve it with garlic butter, and it will taste just perfect.
Sandwich/panini: Ciabatta bread is an excellent choice for sandwiches, burgers, and Paninis.
Croutons: Toss the ciabatta bread pieces in olive oil and herbs and serve as croutons on salads or soups. The golden color and crispiness make them pieces just perfect.
Soups: It serves as a wholesome side dish with soups and stews.
Here are some delicious recipes:
How to Store Ciabatta Bread?
Once the homemade ciabatta bread cools down, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate. It will last for up to 3 days. Furthermore, you can also freeze the bread. It will last for up to 3 months. Defrost it and warm it in the oven or air fryer to enjoy!