What Is Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread is naturally leavened bread. It is leavened for a longer time than other types of bread. This gives it a special texture. Sourdough is traditionally prepared with yeast, flour, water, and salt. This type of bread does not contain yeast, milk or fat. It has a pungent taste, chewy and crunchy crust.
To make sourdough bread, a mixture of wild yeast, lactic acid bacteria, flour and water is prepared. This mixture is called a starter. During the bread making process, this step helps to ferment the sugars in the dough, helping the bread rise and gain its characteristic taste.
What Is Sourdough Starter?
Sourdough starter is made from a mixture of wild yeast, lactobacilli bacteria, flour and water. You can make a sourdough starter yourself from scratch at home. However, you may prefer ready-made sourdough as the preparation process takes about 10 days.
Making homemade sourdough takes about 5-10 days. done first. During this time you need to feed this mixture of flour and water.
How To Make Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread recipe can be made with ready-made yeast or homemade sourdough starter. In this recipe, we will talk about making a bread recipe with ready-made sourdough.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour and salt and mix. Sourdough can be made with many types of flour. Mix white bread flour and whole wheat flour for the best texture and flavor.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sourdough and water. Add to the flour mixture.
- To prepare the dough, mix all the ingredients well. Knead it for a while to get a better consistency. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- If you have time, fold the bread dough after 30 minutes. Repeat 4 times with an interval of 30 minutes.
- Then refrigerate for at least 8 hours. This allows the dough to gain texture.
- Shape the dough after folding. Mix the dough for 1-2 minutes. Let the dough stand for 30 minutes. Then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 420 °F. Place the dough in the bread baking tin when ready to bake. Cook for about 30 minutes with the lid closed. Then cook it at 400 °F for 10-15 minutes without the cover.
- Leave it on the wire rack for 15-20 minutes to cool before slicing.
How To Make Sourdough Bread Starter?
Sourdough can be used in bread making, as well as in pizza dough, donut or waffle recipes. Basically sourdough starter made with a few ingredients can take 5-8 days. It is prepared with flour and water.
Ingredients for making Sourdough Bread Starter:
- 0.2 pound of whole wheat flour
- 0.2 pound of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of water (for each feeding)
Sourdough Bread Starter Preparation:
- Day 1: To begin with, mix 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water in a jar. When the ingredients are well mixed, close the container loosely. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Day 2: You may or may not see some foaming after the first 24 hours. Mix 50 gr of flour and 50 gr of warm water. Add it to the mixture you prepared the previous day. Leave the jar with the lid loose for 24 hours and let it stand at room temperature.
- Day 3: On the third day you will now see some foaming. Mix 50 gr of flour with 50 gr of water and add to yesterday's mixture. Make sure all the flour is well mixed. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Day 4: Start feeding 1-2 times a day. Repeat the actions of the previous day.
- Day 5: Add 1 cup of flour and cup of water twice a day, 12 hours apart. Add to yesterday's mixture.
- Day 6: Add flour and water for the last time. Its volume will double in 4-6 hours.
To check the starter, add a teaspoon of starter to a cup of water. If it floats on the water, you can start using it. Make sure to use a wooden spoon.
Is Sourdough Bread Healthy?
Sourdough can be a healthier alternative to white or whole wheat bread. It is more easily digestive and beneficial for intestinal health thanks to the prebiotics it contains. Sourdough bread has a higher folate and antioxidant content than other types of bread.
Is Sourdough Bread Gluten Free?
Sourdough recipes may contain lower gluten than regular yeast cake, but it is not gluten-free. If you are buying ready-made, you should be careful to buy sourdough bread made with gluten-free flour. If you are making sourdough bread yourself at home, you can make sure that the ingredients you use are gluten-free.
How To Make Gluten Free Sourdough Bread?
When making gluten-free sourdough, you can use gluten-free all-purpose flour or buckwheat flour. You can also buy gluten-free sourdough or prepare it at home.
Is Sourdough Bread Vegan?
Yes, most sourdough bread recipes are actually vegan. This bread, whose main ingredients are flour, water and salt, is suitable for vegan nutrition.
You can easily make vegan sourdough bread by yourself at home. Some recipes can use milk, honey, eggs or butter. Therefore, if you are buying sour dough ready-made, you should always check the ingredients.
When preparing it at home, if the recipe contains eggs, you can use flax seeds instead. You can choose vegetable oil instead of butter; coconut milk or almond milk instead of milk; maple syrup instead of honey.
How To Store Sourdough Bread?
How Long Does Sourdough Bread Last? Sourdough bread should not be stored in the refrigerator. Keeping it in the fridge can make the bread harder. In addition, storing it in a plastic bag can cause moisture and bacteria growth. It can be stored at room temperature for 4-5 days in a dry and cool place.
Can You Freeze Sourdough Bread? Yes. For long-term storage, sourdough can be kept in the freezer. Before putting the bread in the freezer, let it cool completely. You can store either sliced or whole loaves in airtight bags or cling film in the freezer.
How Long Does Sourdough Bread Last In The Freezer? Sourdough bread can be stored for up to 3 months if frozen under the right conditions.
How To Tell If Sourdough Bread Is Bad Or Spoiled? Do not consume if there is mold on the bread or if it smells bad.