What Is Massaman Curry?
Massaman curry is a flavor-rich, creamy, sweet, and savory Thai curry, which is considered to be a fusion of Thai and Indian curries. In this curry delight, both the red-style Thai curry paste and Indian whole spices like clove, cardamom, cumin, coriander, and nutmeg are used together to make it spicy and flavourful. Despite this, ingredients like roasted peanuts are also used in Massaman curry to add an extra layer of the richness of flavor and texture as well. There are different types of Massaman curry-like, Thai chicken Massaman curry, vegetable Massaman curry, Lobster Massaman curry, and many more.
Thai Massaman curry, especially the chicken Massaman curry is one of the most flavourful Thai dishes. This creamy curry will feast your taste buds with the right kicky combination of spiciness and sweet-savory flavor with a creamy texture. Though the origin of this chicken delight is the southern region of Thailand, it has a significant influence on Malaysian and Indian cuisine. In chicken massaman curry, Thai bird's eye chile and Indian whole spices are used together, which make it a perfect combination of the best of Thai and Indian cuisine.
How To Make Massaman Curry Paste?
Ingredients for the preparation of Massaman Curry Paste:
- 12 dried bird's eye chilies
- 6 whole cardamom pods(only seeds)
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves(minced)
- 4 lime leaves(thinly sliced)
- 1½inch fresh ginger thinly sliced/Galangal
- 2 sticks of minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon fresh shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ⅛ tablespoons freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoon cold coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 roughly sliced shallots
Direction of preparing massaman curry paste:
- Soak the dry chilies in warm water for at least 15 minutes. At the same time, dry roast the whole spices for a minimum of 1 minute, and don't forget to continuously stir it. Crush the cardamom pods with a knife and remove the seeds.
- Take a frying pan, heat some vegetable oil, and toss the ginger, shallot, garlic, and chilies for almost 5 minutes, and after that let it cool down.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend it until you get a nice and thick paste. You can store this paste in the refrigerator for almost one month and don't forget to keep it in an airtight container to retain the flavor.
How to Make Vegan Massaman Curry?
Vegan Massaman curry is mainly prepared with tofu, sweet potatoes, potatoes, green beans, mushrooms, carrots, and many other different types of vegetables. These vegetables are cooked into a heavy bottom saucepan with coconut milk, flavor-rich Massaman curry paste, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and roasted peanuts.
What To Serve with Massaman Curry?
Massaman curry is mainly served with different rice dishes like jasmine rice, Basmati rice, Thai basil rice, flavorful coconut rice, or cumin rice. It can also be paired with different types of flatbread like naan or chapati. One can also eat it with rice noodles and cauliflower rice.
Here are some of our delicious recipes that you can serve with Massaman Curry:
How To Store Thai Massaman Chicken Curry?
To store the Thai Massaman Curry, first, you need to wait until the curry is fully cooled down. Now, put the dish into an air-tight container or zip lock bag and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.