What Are the Benefits of Mackerel Fish?
Mackerel is a sea fish and it is a very delicious fish. Mackerel, a fish of about 30 cm in size, also weighs about 100-120 grams.
There are many benefits of mackerel, which is a rich source of Omega-3! Mackerel contains the vitamins and minerals necessary for our body. In addition to fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, there are high amounts of niacin, B1, B2, B6, B12, Choline vitamins. 100 g of mackerel provides 145 percent of the vitamin B12 our body needs, 90 percent of vitamin D and 45 percent of niacin. In addition, it is important for the bone development of children, reduces the risk of cancer and delays aging.
How To Choose Mackerel Fish?
When buying mackerel for this oven grilled mackerel recipe;
- Look for good quality fresh or frozen mackerel.
- When choosing mackerel filets, look at the size and thickness. Thicker filets take longer to cook, while thinner filets cook faster.
- If you are going to buy fresh mackerel, make sure it has a shiny, metallic skin.
- If you are going to buy frozen mackerel, make sure there are no signs of thawing.
- Be sure to store mackerel properly to keep it fresh. Wrap fresh mackerel in cling film or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Store frozen mackerel in the freezer. Thaw completely before using it.
For more information about fish, you can check our article 'Seasonal Calendar To Pick The Good Fish’.
How To Thaw Frozen Mackerel Fish?
To thaw frozen mackerel, follow these steps:
- Refrigerate frozen mackerel filets for several hours or overnight to thaw.
- Put the frozen mackerel filets in a bowl of cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes to keep it cool and speed up the thawing process. This allows the fish to defrost.
- Do not thaw mackerel in hot water or in the microwave. This can make the fish mushy. It also increases the risk of food poisoning.
- Mackerel should be consumed as soon as possible after thawing. Do not refreeze thawed mackerel. Otherwise, the texture and flavor of the fish may deteriorate.
- Make sure the mackerel is completely thawed before cooking. You can use a thermometer for this. The internal temperature of the fish should be at least 41 °F (5 °C).
How To Marinate Mackerel?
Marinate the mackerel before baking it in the oven. Rinse the mackerel filets under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels before marinating.In a bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper.
Put the fish filets in a bowl or bag. Pour the marinade over the filets and make sure it covers the fish evenly. Marinate the fish in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
What To Serve with Oven Baked Mackerel Fish?
It goes well with a variety of dishes, such as baked mackerel, roasted vegetables, and mashed potatoes. You can serve this fish with soup, rice, or salad. You can also pour sauces such as tartar sauce or aioli on it.
Here are our delicious recipes that you can serve with Baked Mackerel:
How To Store Baked Mackerel Fish?
To store cooked mackerel, let it cool at room temperature. Then wrap the fish in aluminum foil or place it in an airtight container. Store mackerel in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat mackerel in this oven, preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Cook the fish for about 10 minutes or until heated through.