What Are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are a type of potato dish where cooked potatoes are gently flattened or smashed. They are known for their crispy outside and creamy inside. They are similar to mashed potatoes but have a different texture and presentation.
To make baked smashed potatoes, use boiled or steamed potatoes. After the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the pot and let them cool slightly. smash them using the bottom of a glass, a fork, or a potato masher until they are partially flattened. After smashed, season them with olive oil, melted butter, salt, pepper, and additional herbs or spices. Then roast or bake them in the oven at a high temperature until they become golden brown and crispy on the outside.
This crispy smashed potato is a dish that combines the creamy mashed potatoes with the crispy baked potatoes. Smashed potatoes can be served as a side dish with various main courses, or they can be enjoyed on their own as a satisfying snack.
What Type of Potato Is Best For Making Crispy Smashed Potatoes?
To make crispy smashed potatoes, the best type of potatoes are those with a higher starch content. Yukon Gold potatoes and baby potatoes are the best for this potato recipe. Both have a creamy texture and a buttery flavor. Choose yellow or red potatoes that are small and even in size.
How To Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes on The Stovetop?
Crispy smashed potatoes can be prepared in various ways. Pan-frying is one of the cooking methods. different flavors.
- To make crispy smashed potatoes on the stovetop, follow these steps:
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender. Add the potatoes to a pot of salted boiling water and cook them until they are easily pierced with a fork but still hold their shape.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and let them cool slightly. Place each potato on a cutting board or a sturdy surface and gently press down on them with the palm of your hand or a potato masher.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter to the skillet.
- Once the oil or butter is hot, add the smashed potatoes to the skillet, spacing them apart.
- Season them with salt, pepper, and any desired herbs or spices. Cook them for a few minutes on each side, until they get a golden-brown crust. Use a spatula to flip them gently to avoid breaking them.
- Once the smashed potatoes are crispy and browned on both sides, transfer them to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle them with salt, herbs, or spices.
- Serve them hot as a side dish or as a snack.
How To Make Vegan Smashed Potatoes?
To make these crispy baked smashed potatoes vegan, use plant-based butter or margarine, instead of traditional butter. Additionally, substitute milk or cream with non-dairy alternatives such as almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or coconut milk. Choose unsweetened varieties for savory dishes. Also, skip adding cheese as a topping. You can omit it or use vegan cheese alternatives.
Check the labels of all ingredients you use to ensure they are vegan.
How To Make Gluten-Free Smashed Potatoes?
To make gluten-free baked smashed potatoes, use gluten-free potatoes such as Yukon Gold, baby potatoes, or fingerling potatoes. Season with gluten-free herbs and spices. Check the labels of the herbs, spices, or seasoning blends you use to see if they are gluten-free.
How To Prevent The Smashed Potatoes From Sticking To The Baking Sheet?
To prevent smashed potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet, you can follow these tips:
- Use parchment paper: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper before placing the smashed potatoes on it. This creates a non-stick surface and helps prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Grease the baking sheet: If you don't have parchment paper, you can lightly grease the baking sheet with cooking oil or non-stick cooking spray. This also helps prevent sticking.
- Don't overcrowd the baking sheet: Leave enough space between the smashed potatoes on the baking sheet. If they are too close together, they may stick to each other as they cook.
What To Serve with Crispy Smashed Potatoes?
Crispy smashed potatoes are a great side dish that you can serve with roasted meats, grilled vegetables, or as a base for stews and braises. Serve them alongside roasted chicken, grilled steak, or baked fish. It can also be served with a dipping sauce such as cranberry sauce or sour cream. These healthy smashed potatoes go well with breakfast or brunch dishes like eggs or bacon.
Here are our delicious recipes that you can serve with Smashed Potatoes:
How To Store Crispy Smashed Potatoes?
To store crispy smashed potatoes, allow the smashed potatoes to cool completely at room temperature. Once cooled, transfer them to an airtight container. Place a piece of parchment paper between the layers to prevent sticking.
Refrigerator: Store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can freeze the smashed potatoes.
Freezer: Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. Frozen smashed potatoes can be stored for up to 2-3 months. Before serving them, reheat them in the oven at a high temperature (around 425 °F / 220 °C) until heated through and crispy again.
It is best to consume smashed potatoes immediately after cooking. When you reheat the smashed potatoes, they may lose their crispiness.