What are Potato Pancakes?
Potato pancakes are also called latke or draniki. It belongs to European cuisine. It is basically prepared using potatoes, onions, eggs, flour and spices. In Swiss cuisine, eggs and flour are not used in this recipe.
Usually russet potatoes are ideal for this recipe. It ensures that the pancakes are browned evenly and well without absorbing too much oil. Potato pancakes served with applesauce and sour cream are a great choice for breakfast. It can also be served as a side dish.
What's the Difference Between Potato Latke and Potato Pancakes?
Basically potato latkes and potato pancakes are similar. Both recipes are deep fried potatoes. Potato pancakes are more rounded than potato latkes. Pancakes are thinner than latkes. Potatoes and eggs are common ingredients in both. However, latkers may contain flour, baking powder, and milk.
How To Make Potato Pancakes in the Oven?
To make Baked Potato Pancakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, garlic and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all purpose flour and breadcrumbs. Thanks to these ingredients, pancakes will be fluffy and light.
- Then, combine the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Add salt, black pepper and parmesan cheese. Stir all of them.
- Line the parchment paper to the baking sheet. Prepare 8 servings of pancakes from the potato mixture. Make sure the pancakes are thin.
- Bake the pancakes for 20-25 minutes until they get golden brown.
- Serve it hot with applesauce or sour cream.
What to Serve with Potato Pancakes?
Here are our delicious recipes that you can serve with Potato Pancakes: