What Should We Pay Attention to When Buying Cabbage?
- Prefer sprouts with brightly colored leaves.
- Avoid buying those with drooping, faded leaves.
- The dense outer leaves indicate its freshness. Choose those with dense and unbroken leaves.
- Take care that the outer leaves are not stained and rotten.
- If you are going to do stuff, make sure that you choose it large.
How To Store Cabbage?
The freezing method is one of the most common ways to keep vegetables in the freezer. In this way, vegetables keep their freshness for a long time. So how to keep cabbage in the freezer?
- Soak it in vinegar and boiling water before putting it in the freezer.
- Then drain the water and soak in ice cold water for 3 minutes.
- Separate it from the leaves at your discretion. Cutting leaves can lose its freshness more quickly than whole cabbage.
- Dry and place in airtight storage bags. In this way, the cabbage will remain fresh between 8-12 months.
How Do You Soften Cabbage?
In other words, How to Separate Cabbage Leaves? One of the easiest methods to separate it from leaves is to boil it. For this, place the whole cabbage in the pot with the root down, and head of cabbage up. Soak in boiling water for 8 minutes. Make sure the stove is on medium high heat.
When the leaves are soft, remove from the pot and soak in ice water. Then strain the leaves and place them on a paper towel.
Another way to separate the leaves is to keep them in the freezer. Take out the vegetable that you left for one night the next day. Wait for it to thaw. When the ice is thawed, the cabbage leaves become soft and separate more easily.
How Do You Get Rid of The Smell of Cabbage at Home?
You can avoid cabbage odor while cooking. This healthy and nutritious vegetable emits an unpleasant odor when cooking. You can prevent bad smell by taking some precautions while cooking cabbage. Here are tips for minimizing the cabbage smell at home:
Slice of Bread: Putting stale bread pieces in the cabbage water during cooking will help reduce the smell. You can place the bread at the bottom of the pan so that they smell.
Milk: Add some milk to the boiling water of it. It will help prevent the smell from spreading.
Lemon Juice: Pour a tablespoon of lemon juice into the pot where you will boil the cabbage. In this way, the smell will not spread around.
Bay Leaf: Put a few bay leaves in the boiling water. Bay leaf will reduce bad smell. It will also add a mild flavor.
Walnut: When cooking cabbage, add walnuts without shell to the water so that it does not smell. It will prevent odor in the house.
Also, don't forget to ventilate your kitchen while cooking to remove the odor at home!
How To Serve Cabbage Patties?
Our other delicious and different recipes that can be made with cabbage: