What Are Split Peas?
Split peas are a type of pea used in many recipes, from soups to side dishes. Split peas are dried peas that are cut in half. These peas are green or yellow. You can use green or yellow peas for this soup. You do not need to pre-wet it. However, it is recommended to rinse in cold water. It cooks faster than other legumes.
For more information about legumes, check out our article 'Types of Legumes and Their Uses'.
How To Thicken Pea Soup?
Is your pea soup too watery? Here are a few tips for thickening your soup:
- Add thickening ingredients such as flour or cornstarch. Mix 1 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch with water, broth, or milk. Then add it to the soup. In this way, you can make a thicker soup without changing the taste. Make sure the broth is cold before adding the cornstarch, or the mixture will clump together.
- You can also use a cream-based thickener, such as yogurt or heavy cream. This changes the taste and texture of the pea soup. If you are making vegan pea soup, you can use vegan cream or milk.
- Puree the vegetables. To thicken the juicy pea soup, puree the vegetables you use, such as carrots and onions, in a blender. Stir the pureed vegetables into the broth. Then add it to the soup.
- Add rice. While the rice is cooking, it absorbs some of the liquid and gives the soup a consistency.
- After cooking the soup, puree it with a blender. This way, the consistency of your soup will be thick and creamy.
How To Thin Pea Soup?
It can be difficult to maintain the consistency while making soup. Sometimes it's too watery, sometimes too thick. If the consistency of your soup is too thick, to thin it,
- Add low-sodium chicken broth, vegetable stock, or water.
- Use almond milk, soy milk, or any milk. So that the soup does not cut off the milk, mix the milk with some soup and add it to the soup. Or take the soup off the heat while you add the milk.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar. This gives an aroma and makes the soup thinner.
How To Serve Pea Soup?
Here are our delicious recipes that you can serve with Pea Soup:
- Rye Bread
- Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Croutons
- Mushroom Risotto
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Panzanella Salad
How To Store Pea Soup?
Homemade pea soup can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Let the soup cool before storing. Then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. To freeze pea soup, you can store it in airtight containers for up to 3 months after it has completely cooled.
To reheat the pea soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Then heat it in a saucepan over low heat.