What is Egg Drop Soup?
‘Egg Drop’ is a chicken broth-based soup usually thickened with cornstarch and flavored with soy sauce, ginger and scallions. This Chinese soup is made by cooking a raw egg in a hot chicken stock.
There are many varieties of Egg Drop Soup. The classic recipe is used with chicken broth. However, it can also be prepared with vegetable broth. Chicken, shrimp or tofu can be added as protein. Corn, mushrooms, bok choy can be added as vegetables. You can use gluten-free soy sauce to make this recipe gluten-free.
How to Make the Best Egg Drop Soup?
To make this soup at home:
- Prepare chicken/vegetable broth. You can prepare the stock yourself at home or buy ready-made.
- Dissolve the starch. Mix the cornstarch and water/stock and dissolve it completely. In this step, make sure that the broth is at room temperature or colder.
- Bring the remaining chicken stock to a boil. Heat remaining chicken/vegetable stock, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the eggs. For this recipe, whisk raw eggs in a bowl.
- Add the eggs to the stock. When the stock comes to a boil, continue stirring the stock and gradually add the eggs. Use a whisk or fork when stirring the soup.
- Season the soup. Add salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper and sesame oil.
- Take the pot off the stove. Serve the soup hot, garnishing with green onions.
What to Serve with Egg Drop Soup?
This easy Egg Drop Soup goes well with many dishes. It can be served with delicacies from Asian cuisine in particular. You can serve it with crispy noodles, fresh scallion or bean sprouts.
Here are our delicious recipes that you can serve with Egg Drop Soup:
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Glazed Salmon
- White Cabbage with Ground Beef
- Sesame Noodles
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Mapo Tofu
- Cauliflower Rice
- Spring Rolls
How to Store Egg Drop Soup?
How Long Does Egg Drop Soup Store in the Refrigerator? This soup recipe should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days when stored this way. To store the soup in the refrigerator, let it cool at room temperature. Then place it in airtight containers.
Can Egg Drop Soup Be Frozen? No. Freezing is not recommended for this recipe because of using eggs. When eggs are frozen and reheated, their texture and flavor will deteriorate.
How to Reheat Egg Drop Soup?
In this recipe, the texture and flavor are lost when the eggs are reheated. Therefore, it is recommended to be consumed immediately. However, it can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
When reheating this soup, be careful not to heat it too high. Otherwise, the scrambled eggs may become rubbery. For best results, it's best to reheat your soup over low heat, stirring slowly.
When using a stovetop to heat your soup, you can reheat the eggs over medium-low heat, make sure not to overmix. While reheating in the microwave, cook in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds and keep the heat low.